Turismo de Alcalá de Guadaíra

Santiago (St. James's) Church


The neighbourhood of Santiago was one of the first settlements outside the walls of Alcalá de Guadaíra, when the population of the parishes of Santa María and San Miguel begins to come down from the Castle Hill.

The Church of this new poor quarter would begin to be built by early 16th century under Alonso Rodríguez head, High Master of the Seville Cathedral.

The building has three naves, with several moments at the construction clearly visible at the present moment. The original Church of the 16th century seems to be preserved in good condition at the head of the naves, covered by groin vaults. The central bodies, with barrel vaults, would be already from the baroque period (17th century) although the building would have an important transformation after Lisbon earthquake in 1755, so it had to be redesigned in several occasions during the second half of the 18th century.

After 1936 coup d'état and the subsequent popular reaction, the church was set fire to, being part of the naves destroyed, being restored along the following years by the architect Juan Talavera. At present, the church houses various altarpieces and images dated from between the 16th-18th centuries. A curiosity of this church is that on its outside southeast corner (Sánchez Perrier Street) a Corinthian style capital is preserved, which has unknown origin.

Download tourist leaflet

credits · conditions and terms of use · privacy policy · RSS contents syndication · accessibility · web map · contact
home · meet alcalá · agenda · tourist guide · virtual office · professionals · join us
Ayuntamiento de Alcalá de Guadaíra (www.ciudadalcala.org)