Las Eras or San Francisco Mill

The Las Eras mill is located in the current San Francisco park, on the right bank of the Guadaíra River, practically opposite the Molino de la Tapada. The origin of this building is imprecise, although until the end of the last century there was a small clay plaque indicating the date 1605, possibly indicative of its original construction.
At the beginning of the 18th century, its ownership by the convent of Santa María de los Ángeles, of the Franciscan order, was mentioned. That is why this mill is also known as “de San Francisco”, in reference to the nearby monastic establishment located in the vicinity from the mid s. XVI.

In the Eras mill, milling was done with water from the aquifer, channeled through the gallery of the “caños de Carmona”. It is not known if the canalization to Las Eras was made by the Franciscans from the main pipe coming from Santa Lucía or from the nearby mill of La Mina. However, at the beginning of the 17th century there were several lawsuits over the right to use the surplus water from the Fuente del Concejo, located in the vicinity of Perejil, which was possibly used as a secondary pipe for milling. The problem lay in its shared use with the neighboring Molino del Rodete, located next to the bridge, which finally disappeared during the 17th century.

As in the case of the La Tapada mill, the Las Eras mill is a spring mill, although the current was not channeled through an aqueduct, but directly through an atarjea connected to the bucket, which moved two stones.