Bolaños de piedra

Stone bullets have been used since the most primitive ballistics (catapults, ballistas, fustíbalos), which took advantage of the mechanical energy accumulated by tension to launch the projectiles. However, its standardization and use was perfected during the late Middle Ages. They are attested in the siege of Algeciras, in the middle of the s. XIV. Between the ss. XIV and XV are used in shooting with lombards or “stone mortars”, although progressively metal bullets would be imposed, which replaced the balls in the s. XVI. Balls were easy to produce, although less efficient in shot and impact. The maximum range of a lombard between the ss. XIV and XV was between 1300 and 2000 meters. This example represented a 360 mm caliber, but 580 mm balls were manufactured.

Found in the Castle of Alcalá de Guadaíra. Donated by Francisco García Rivero.